Office 2013 Look and Feel

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has started an office 2013 look and feel for this ribbon control. I have started work on this and have made some good progress. I need to post my changes but there are some issues with SVN and checking out the code right now. I want to make sure I'm not going to overwrite any ones changes or take away from something someone else has started.
Jun 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM
The version which is in the repository is always the latest version.
If you need some assitance, I suggest you create an issue - there you can add an attachment and post your changes. Might be a good start to have someone else to take a look at your code ;-)
Jun 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM
One side note: if the discussion is for developers only, you can define it as "private"
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Sweet all good things to know.
Jul 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Hi, Ohio232Stang, Office 2013 look and feel for this ribbon control is not yet started.
It is great that if this ribbon has a 2013 style :)
Jul 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Any help is mostly welcome ;-)
Jul 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Added my changes today to the project. Still need to work on the themes and a few other things that office 2013 has but this is a pretty good start hope you guys enjoy the Flat styles so far.
Jul 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Hey, I have downloaded and have a look at the Office 2013 style of ribbon.
That is awesome. Nice work.
Jul 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Do you have member account at codeproject.com?
I would like to add you into this article: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/364272/Easily-Add-a-Ribbon-into-a-WinForms-Application-Cs
:)
Jul 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I do sent you a message.
Jul 8, 2013 at 4:45 AM
I have added you into the article guide at codeproject.com.
You might need to accept the invitation to become co-author of the article.
:)
Jul 8, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Hi Ohio232Stang,

I did send you a message, but don't know if you got it.
How are your changes coming?
I saw you added some VSS files (vssscc and vspscc). Are those of your local VSS or the codeplex TFS?
I also recognized you changed the VS version in the sln file. I am not sure if this is a good idea - as we need to keep compatibility with older VS versions. When I messed up with the .net 2.0 compatibility (auto-properties and the use of a HashSet) several people complained.

Nice flat style :-)
Jul 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Edited Jul 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Hi,

I'm using CodePlex TFS. My Visual Studio Version is 2012. I can roll back the sln file.
Jul 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Hi,
My Visual Studio Version is 2012. I can roll back the sln file.
I think thats best (should be only to lines or numbers in the sln file).
Please put a comment on every check in - so it is easier to keep up with your changes.
Cheers, you are changing a lot! Great help! Thank you!
Jul 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Ok it should be rolled back now. I'll remember to add comments to my check-ins, sorry about that. I couldn't agree more that it will make it easier to follow changes. I have gone back and filled in as many comments as possible.

I was thinking that we could add more solution files one for VS 2010 and 2012. Do you think that would help other people that are using newer versions of studio?
Jul 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM
I also thought about that but did not come to a conclusion. Because someone has to keep the different solution files in sync. So I just reverted the version number of my solution and project files before "Commit".
Sep 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Hi Ohio232Stang,

I tried to contact you via CodePlex but to no avail. So I am hoping you are reading this.

I am back on track and got some time to take a closer look at all the changes you have done so far.
You have done an amazing work on the Office 2013 style!

I have some comments nevertheless:
  • Organizing the project assembly was a necessary work (that is also the reason why it took me so long to get an overview, diff is more work)
  • Warnings should be avoided (in my company we run a "no warning" policy - meaning compiler setting "treat warnings as errors") because then it is likely to ignore them - also the ones which indicate a real problem
  • Issue on Office 2007 style, it looks just completely different. I did not find the problem yet.
  • The Ribbon Theme is defined static, which is a problem when you open up the black form in the RibbonDemo and then open any other Ribbon - they are black as well
  • Try to avoid useless comments, see below
    //case RibbonColorPart.RibbonBackground:
    //RibbonBackground = color; break;
    case RibbonColorPart.RibbonBackground:
        RibbonBackground = color; break;
  • Try to avoid useless code as well
    else if (OrbStyle == RibbonOrbStyle.Office_2010) //2010 - no need to offset for the orb
        QuickAcessToolbar.SetBounds(new Rectangle(new Point(this.ClientRectangle.Right - QuickAcessToolbar.Margin.Right - QuickAcessToolbar.LastMeasuredSize.Width, 0), QuickAcessToolbar.LastMeasuredSize));
    else if (OrbStyle == RibbonOrbStyle.Office_2013)  //Michael Spradlin - 05/03/2013 Office 2013 Style Changes: no need to offset for the orb
        QuickAcessToolbar.SetBounds(new Rectangle(new Point(this.ClientRectangle.Right - QuickAcessToolbar.Margin.Right - QuickAcessToolbar.LastMeasuredSize.Width, 0), QuickAcessToolbar.LastMeasuredSize));
  • why not just extend the existing "else if", but keep in mind the difference between || and | - there is a significant difference
Cheers
Thomas
Sep 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Hi toAtWork

Just got your message. I haven't checked my personal mail for a while work has been pretty hectic lately. Im glad you are enjoying the 2013 style. I agree with all of your comments.

I felt the organization was necessary. But I should have asked before making such a big change.

I'm not really use to a no warning policy where I work but I couldn't agree more warnings should be treated like errors.

For the 2007 style. I can help dig in and find the issue through TFS and versioning when I return from my trip.

I didn't realize the black form in the demo project was doing this in the demo project my apologies. I can look into getting this corrected as well.

And lastley as far as you comments on useless code go you at correct some of that can be cleaned up. But the if statement I kept separate incase I needed to make changes to the new style and not affect the older one.

Again sorry for these issues you are having and I will help in anyway I can to get them corrected.

Thanks
Mike

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Hi Mike,

If you are talking about hectic times - I know what you mean!

I am also glad that you agree with my comments. Thinking about it a little longer, I think the separate "if" is a good idea - so it is clear what you mean (for other developers). So lets stick to it.

The black form should be easily fixed. It is just that the Theme is static.
I also had a look at the RibbonProfessionalRenderer yesterday. I had the impression that you missed once an "if" for the Office_2007 ribbon. But I am not totally sure yet.

Thanks for your response!
Thomas
Oct 8, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Hi,

I have noticed that a checked DropDown Item is still marked orange.
I am not sure if this is a bug or your intension.

The 2013 theme is amazing but this breaks the design a little bit.
If you do not have time I will look into it. Just let me know.

Thomas
Oct 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Hey thanks for letting me know. I'm a bit bogged down with my day to day job at the moment so if you want to dig into this feel free otherwise it may be a week or two until I can get to it.

Thanks
Mikr

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Hi guys,

I just got Office 2007 style back!

Mike, please do not move blocks of source code (RibbonProfessionalRenderer)! This is really hell when looking for an error!

koglth, can you please check the changes and see if everything is back to normal?

Cheers!
Oct 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM
hi,

I have fixed the rendering of Office 2013 style for minimized tabs and checked DropDownItems.
Please check and suggest any improvments.

thanks,
Thomas
Oct 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry about moving that source code. I'll be sure to be more careful in the future. I'll be getting the latest source code today to take a look at all your changes so that I'm up to date.

Thanks
Mike