Very annoying bug: Dialogs on Windows XP

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Hi there,

I have a very annoying bug on my Windows XP with the officeribbon35: every popup (OpenFileDialog, custom forms for examples) opens, but we cannot close or resize it. We cannot do anything, a sort of "partial freeze".

Please, help!

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I totally agree, i never tried my app on an xp device, and my app includes openfildialogs.

It works great on Vista / 7, but displaying other forms or dialogs is totally impossible on windows xp.

Can you write a patch for us please? :)

Regards, mylorddash

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I understand that this is very annoying, but I am afraid I can not help you. I do not have any XP machines, and I am not good at C# Would you know how to write a patch, and if so, please feel free to upload it!

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Hi UtilityBuilder, and thanks for your answer. :)

I can try to write a patch, but only the .dll version of the officeribbon is available in the download page. Can you give us the sources please?

Best regards.
Olololz 

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:19 AM
Edited Nov 1, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Sure. I just showed it to the public. It's on the source page.

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM

can you be a bit more specific on the problem?  Are you showing these modal dialogs in a RibbonButton click event or what?  I am trying to understand exactly what you're doing so I can determine a solution.  If I can duplicate it, I can fix it.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

One RibbonForm, on form one button, on click button show form (Form2 frm = new Form2(); frm.Show();)

this all, Form2 cannot do anything

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM

This is all due to inheriting from RibbonForm.   There are a lot of problems when doing this and I have yet to figure them out.  This goes a bit beyond my expertise and I have been hoping someone who understands the NonClient form stuff better that I will show up.  The problem you are having is that the WndProc routine in the RibbonFormHelper is consuming the click events before the popup dialog gets it.  If you absolutely must have the office 2007/2010 form appearance then take a look at Qios Dev Suite.  Im my project is a sample form on how to incorporate their Caption control with this ribbon.   I tried to use their ribbon but it was so complicated and hard to use that I modified this ribbon to work in tandom with their form control.  This gives the look you guys are after.  So before you submit more issues on the RibbonForm Inheritance feature make sure you have checked out my sample form in the source code.  www.staffinder.net/carbisoft/source/Ribbon35.zip.  I am not sure if the source on this site contains my sample projects so I have included a link to my stuff.  Visit my site at www.staffinder.net/carbisoft for documentation on Qios.  I love this ribbon and still use it in my projects.  I just dont use the RibbonForm feature

Developer
Jan 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM

No guarantee for correctness:

According to Microsoft WM_NCACTIVATE requires to set the result accordingly. Therefore change in the RibbonFormHelper.cs the WndProc Method:

else if (m.Msg == WinApi.WM_NCACTIVATE && Ribbon != null && Ribbon.ActualBorderMode == RibbonWindowMode.NonClientAreaCustomDrawn)
	{
		Ribbon.Invalidate(); handled = true;
		if (m.WParam == IntPtr.Zero)  // if could be removed because result is ignored if WParam is TRUE
			m.Result = (IntPtr)1;
	}

Testing strongly advised

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM
I believe this also has something to do with the theme on the desktop. For example, in Windows 7 with the "Windows 7 Theme" there are no issues whatsoever. However, when I switch to the classic theme (what I use normally for development), I get the same issue the OP has.
Feb 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Great! Thanks a lot!
Developer
Feb 26, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Edited Feb 26, 2013 at 6:46 AM